3M Di-Noc

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by honeyjew, May 24, 2010.

1. honeyjew

honeyjew Copenworld Member

I recently puchased a small piece of this carbon-fiber looking material which is from 3M, I think it's called di-noc. It can be used to wrap components, even whole cars!

So I did this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking of doing the ashtray and glove box next. What do you think?

2. honeyjew

Not sure where I found this, but here's a Copen with it on the bonnet - I don't like the look of this at all

[​IMG]

3. fuzzydog

fuzzydog Copenworld Newbie

Oh dear.....

Im loving that look, just had a look online at the stuff theres some great ideas for use out there - carbon fiber spoiler perhaps? please post any pics if you do the dash etc, im tempted to have a go too now.

Looks mucher nicer than the "carbon fiber" my Suzuki had.

Cool find!

James

4. machinehead

machinehead Copenworld Pioneer

I really like the door handle look - not so much the bonnet/hood.

Very cool idea.

M.

5. honeyjew

Just done the ashtray - the corners are tricky to get looking nice

[​IMG]

6. smx

smx Copenworld Member

Someone beat me to it! I was thinking of doing this to centre dash piece and if possible the dials surround. Ash tray looks really good.

Could you show us a pic of the ash tray but from a bit more distance? I would like to see what it looks like in context.

Cheers, Andy (newbie)

7. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Nice,
    Where do you buy this stuff from??

Rex.

8. honeyjew

9. honeyjew

Shots of the dash from more of a distance - sorry they are not very good

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. smx

smx Copenworld Member

I decided to have ago at this but went for the fake stainless stuff. The vent rings look good in the car but if you look closely you can see some puckering around the edges, was really hard to wrap such a tight circle, still got to do the two side ones, getting them off is a real pain. Sorry, the pics aren’t great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Had a chat at work to a friend who has used this stuff. He told me two things.

Be careful what you buy - many films on ebay claim to be 3M di-noc, but no all of them are. The original stuff is a lot easier to work with. You can re-position it without problems when applying. Some other tend to be very sticky.

Second, if you use a hot air gun (of hair dryer!) it is very easy to mold it to awkward shapes as it will stretch easily.

Rex.

12. honeyjew

I seem to remember reading on some French forum that in order to get these off involves a sharp thin object pushed behind to break one of the parts holding it onto the dash. Is that what you had to do?

13. smx

smx Copenworld Member

There are a lot of fakes out there, if you buy it you can tell from the underside of the film, should have have the 3m logo printed all over it. As for the hairdryer, it's essential, think I spent nearly 2 hours applying and reapplying this stuff using various techniques. The problem is if you get it hot then stretch it to much the pattern / texture looks and feels rubbish.

Honeyjew, the first one I pried off but crack some of the plastic clips the second one I cut 3 of the 4 little tabs (following the french instructions) but still managed to crack some clips. Will try harder with the last two. Saying that when put back on they still feel solid and u can't see any damage.

14. smx

smx Copenworld Member

Well i wasnt happy with the vinyl, it puckered round the edges and it got worse when the heater was on full so i decided to take it off and paint them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]