2004 Copen oil change Australia

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Edweldo, Jul 2, 2017.

1. Edweldo

Edweldo Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2004 Daihatsu Copen
    Have just bought a 2004 Copen and first thing, change the oil and filter.

The previous owner had receipts for regular service including oil change but the oil was like treacle and I suspect neither oil nor filet have been changed for some time.

I purchased the listed oil and filter. Reviewed the previous information on changing the oil filter through the engine mount. Bought 2 different types of filter removers from large auto parts outlets, couldn't use them, so finally went to a small auto parts outlet and got the right service.

I ended up with the correct filter remover (RYCO RST202, 68mm, 14 flutes) and removed the old filter. Tried to fit the listed filter (RYCO Z443) and it would not fit through the engine mount. My small auto parts outlet then sourced the right filter (Also made by RYCO apparently) Its a WESFIL filter WC083 and was half the price of the previously purchased, incorrect filter. See attachment.

Attached Files:

2. shane

shane Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66
    Herth and Buss J1316008 fit too.

3. Edweldo

Car(s):
    2004 Daihatsu Copen
    Thanks Shane, I suppose thats the RYCO of UK? seems to be different wherever you are in the world

Cheers thanks again

4. MultiplexMan

MultiplexMan Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    KIA Carnival YP, Copen
    If the oil was thick and filthy, you might want to do an early oil change. I typically do a couple flush fills with a high detergent engine oil when starting work on a used engine.

I run it for 1K, then take a sample. If it comes out thick and murky, I'll drop the engine oil, re-fill and repeat. It is especially cheap to do with the Copen due to the small oil capacity.

Once the oil stays relatively consistent, I replace the oil & oil filter and drive as per normal.

Oil is literally life when it comes to the Copen's turbo...

Re the previous work: whilst the owner may have paid for an oil & filter change, he may not have got an oil & filter change...

5. Edweldo

Car(s):
    2004 Daihatsu Copen
    Brilliant MultiplexMan, thank you so much for that. I will do exactly that

Cheers
    ED

6. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Herth+Buss is a german company, they are quite good
    MultiplexMan is right, change your oil often, especially if you do not know the history of the car.
    Cheap 5W40 with Mercedes Approval 229.3/229.5 is perfect for flushing as its not too expensive but still good enough

7. Edweldo

Car(s):
    2004 Daihatsu Copen
    Many thanks again guys/gals much appreciated