1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st oil change

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by Nedryerson, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Nedryerson

Nedryerson Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    0.66 Copen 2003
    Fiat 500
    Gents,

My new Copen has been maintained by the book but before I bought it she had only covered a few miles in the last 12 months so I thought it would be wise to have a new filter and oil change so as to start from a clean sheet.

I booked the car in today and was told to ring back in a hour. When I did the guy on the phone said the car wasn't ready but I could hear the mechanic in the background shouting he was having to take the whole car to bits to get at the filter !

A quick visit to YouTube showed why they were struggling.

Anyway, they charged me £60 and gave me have a gallon of unused oil.

I think I will buy the filter removal tool and carry out the next oil change myself.

Tomorrow she goes to the body shop to have the wheel arches looked at. Any experiences to share with me ?

Ned

2. Fuzz573

Fuzz573 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Suzuki cappuccino
    I just done my first oil and filter change on my copen over the holidays and can honestly say it was the biggest pain in the ass. I didn't have the filter cup tool so ordered one on eBay. Got a 65-67mm with 14 grooves. It fitted the aftermarket filter I wrongly bought for a non turbo perfectly, unfortunately not my 2004 turbo oem filter, so after much cursing and swearing I removed the bumper etc and done it the hard way.

I've since ordered a 68mm cup tool which no doubt will arrive tomorrow once it's all back together. Hopefully that fits the daihatsu filter as it must be so much easier than the bumper off method

:)

3. Nedryerson

Nedryerson Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    0.66 Copen 2003
    Fiat 500
    Oh, there is a dedicated turbo filter ?

What chance is there that the garage would have installed the wrong filter ?

Ned

4. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    I doubt they would've fitted the wrong filter.

The genuine Daihatsu oil filter for the turbo model is low in height to allow it to pass through the engine mounting arm. Some other makes are taller & cannot pass through the engine mounting. Chances are they have used one of the taller filters. Which means if you want to change the filter yourself next time you will have to take the front of the car off too first.

Also there are slight differences in diameters of the available filters which means some tools won't fit some filters.

A lot of investigation & information can be found here:

https://www.copenworld.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=1459&highlight=service

5. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    i always order the proper daihatsu one and then supply it to my garage.

6. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    For the 660cc version, you can use the genuine Daihatsu filter, or the Mahle OC487.

Do NOT use the Blueprint filter, as it won't fit through the engine bay hole - I had a mechanic try to charge me for two hours worth of labour, because he bought the wrong filter (the blueprint one)

7. Klausanta

Klausanta Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Renault Megane
    I spent a lot of time looking at this before our first oil change was due (please see last post #10 on first page).

https://www.copenworld.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=1459

Armed with the correct parts and tools I took everything to my local garage who seemed to have no problems and charged me £40.00 for the oil/filter change and also fitting a new set of spark plugs I purchased.

KS