1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lights and bulbs

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by copenpants, Apr 22, 2015.

1. copenpants

copenpants Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    So, I purchased my copen as a means to get shut of my twist and go scooter, that wasn't being used....I part exchanged the scooter and a little cash for a copen with "problems" from second hand car dealer.
    Some of which (not all) were that the car was full of mold, the boot was full of water the rear passenger side behind the seat too, and a combination of lights were not working.
    So the first thing I did was set about drying out the car.
    Having read here that parking the car nose pointing up hill (as mine was on collection) led to water getting in to the boot, I found that simply opening the rubber bung at the lowest point in the boot floor, under the jack location, let most of the water drain out !!!
    The rest was sponged and mopped up, a sodden wallet of service history for the car was found under the passenger seat and a "CSI" type operation was started to separate and save all the paperwork.
    My "Hot" tip for cleaning the car interior, cloth seats, water stains, mold...Asda £1. antibacterial spray, other brands are available, works a treat for cleaning the grubbiest of seats and fabrics ..spray liberally, agitate with a sponge (pan scourer) wipe vigorously with a damp clean cloth, ring cloth in clean water and repeat..stains, marks, and mold..gone !..your welcome.
    So..the lights..I feared water damaged wiring, broken relays, blown fuses.
    I had, no indicators at all, no hazard lights, no headlights only full beam, no number plate light, no interior light, only one front side light.
    All interior fuses were checked and ok.
    Engine bay fuse box reveled that hazard light fuse was blown and was replaced, so now had front indicators and repeaters but no rear, head lamp relay seemed ok and all other fuses were ok.
    so off to local car parts shack for some rear indicator bulbs..the orange ones..£4.50 each ????..and 2 side light bulbs.(order your bulbs off ebay)
    Back home managed to pop out rear indicators with cloth wrapped screwdriver (having seen video of removal of light unit with a sucker pad) and bulbs fitted now had both hazards and all indicators.
    front inerwheel liner was not fitted correctly so managed to get a hand in and change the side light bulb too....and found that the same bulb fitted the number plate light, an easy fit.
    Now just lacking headlights..bulbs were purchased .wheels and wheel arch liners were removed..and the fiddly job of changing the bulbs was completed, and not as fiddly as I had feared.

And, so..finally the point of starting this thread was to say....avoid touching the bulb glass........and.... if like I did when you are changing the headlight bulbs...you remove and disconnect the old bulb, you might think, I will check the new bulb is working before I put it back inside the headlight....remember, it only has one connection, and so has to be earthed to work, and it does that through the headlight backing, so you need to slip it back inside to check it is working.
    Then you can spring clip it back in and replace all the other bits.

Sorry, a long thread for a small tip, but it may save some one from thinking the new bulbs they just bought are duff before they even fit them.
    So now I have a dried out mold free car and all the lights work..just all the other stuff to sort now !!!

(Any one have an original copen radio/cd they don't want..I will pay postage ??)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  2. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    the original copen radio is rubbish - you'd get better results spending even just 30 quid on something from Halfords - easy to fit yourself.

3. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    With respect to getting rid of moisture, get two of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00I3VKBJS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00 - one in the cabin, one in the boot.

Trust me, it'll soak up ALL the remaining moisture.

I may have the stock Clarion radio in a bag somewhere, I'm unsure if it works or not, but if yours for free if you pay postage. As DSB mentioned, the Carion is terrible, get a nice after market one - I've a YouTube video of how to replace the radio.

4. copenpants

copenpants Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  5. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    As has been said the original radio is cack. It has a dancing wave type screensaver that isn't even in time with the music. I'd rather just see what station I'm on.
    I like to keep my cars as original as possible unless the upgrade really improves the cars look. I've seen aftermarket radios that look really gaudy and spoil the interior. Get a black radio with an orange display to match everything else on the dash.
    If you still want to keep the original radio and you have the main unit then just try and get hold of an original head unit. The radio has no security built in so you need no code and any original head unit will fit it.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015