1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just bought a blue Copen!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jam, Oct 26, 2017.

1. Jam

Jam Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    copen
    Hey guys, I just bought a used Copen with 97.000km. Color blue with red leather. Drove it for 250km yesterday on the interstate and it's definately not for speeds over 120km/h in my opinion. Drove it at 130km/h for a while and things were rather unstable although it had brand new tires. What's your experience like at high speeds?

Also, if you have any websites for finding spares in the EU, I would appreciate it.

2. TriVille

TriVille Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Suzuki Ignis sport
    Daihatsu Copen
    In my opinion it's pretty stable for a small car at high speed.
    Drove last month +1000km on the German Autobahn, no problems at 110-130 km/h. Even at top speed, 169km/h on gps, it felt very save.

3. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    Mine is also fine at 160km/h though if any British police ask, that's just theory right? :p Might want to give it a thorough checkover, is it on standard 165/50 R15 tyres and original wheels?

4. skbilics

skbilics Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    not sure what that is but anything past 70MPH and mine aint happy either! 08 1.3L engine

5. Jam

Jam Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    copen
    Yes, original wheels and the tire size you mentioned. And there was serious wind noise, but I haven't driven a convertible before so I wouldn't know.

I'm thinking of changing a few things in the future. Maybe the red leather seats and the wheel because its a little worn. Probably put something like creme color instead...
    PS: I'll post some pics soon!

adatara likes this.
  6. Vin Petrol

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    Well, I've just drove an hour each way on the motorway to college in mine. For no reason, because I forgot it was half-term and my car course isn't on this week. :p

Did you mean with the roof down then? You do lose a bit of body stability with the roof down but that's only really noticeable on sharp bends for me, I'm considering some bracing for next summer after I've finished with the bodywork, though I need to research what braces to get - I've seen about 5 or 6 different braces for the Copen and I really have no clue which is effective or not!

You could check the tire pressure, wheel alignment, suspension and subframe bushings, that's pretty much in order of difficulty.

What was your previous car if you don't mind me asking? If it was a large heavy car it might just be getting used to the tiny one ;-)

7. Jam

Jam Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    copen
    I drove a 1999 1.0 Polo up to now. I just had the Copen serviced before heading for the highway and it is in proper condition. I'm probably not used to it yet as you said....

8. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Mine is fine at 75 mph (120 kph) and plenty of revs left. The limiting factor is how much volume is left in the radio because it does get a bit noisy even with the roof up.

9. Surfmod

Surfmod Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 659 turbo
    Mine is scarily easy to get up to 90mph without me noticing it, no rattles and feels pretty quiet for a convertible (but then I used to have an MG Midget which sounded as if it would take off at 70) - my advice, get new speakers and turn them up to 11....

10. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    Has your car got a spoiler on it?
    Mine hasn't and starts feeling light at higher speeds.
    I've got plans to fit an air dam and belly pan to help out with that.
    My guess is that they never really worried about aero on the Copen as they were mainly designed as a city car.

11. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Mine has got a spoiler but on a car like the Copen it’s aesthetic rather than functional. I don’t expect I’ll be coming up behind this and flashing my lights to get past any time soon.

BLOODHOUND SSC

12. adatara

adatara Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    L880 Copen; have a Honda Airwave (long Honda Fit); had Subaru Foresters
    congrats on getting your car; nice color combination. 120kph is fine in my Copen, but larger cars I've driven did feel more stable. Putting all windows up keeps things quieter at speed. Putting up the little rear quarter windows / sharkfin windows does help a bit. More info is on other posts, but basically the trick to putting those windows up is pushing a little button in the roof catch.
    Questions on 2nd row windows

13. Surfmod

Surfmod Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 659 turbo
    No spoiler - it's a 06 model, reading a lot of the posts on here about problems and niggles with copens I think I just got very lucky with mine....so far.....

14. Vin Petrol

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    The majority of spoilers do very little at all - however...the Copen's shape is quite close to the Audi TT, the newer of which has an automatic spoiler than pops up at 75mph.

Audi fitted this spoiler because the TT, due to it's rounded shape at the rear, was producing lift at the rear and losing traction, which may have contributed to some accidents at high-speed.

lift.jpg

As you can see, a spoiler no bigger than our standard one actually does a very good job of reducing lift on the TT at high speeds, now our little Copen is smaller and lighter so I'd guess we need the help at lower speed than the TT.

This is all just logic and comparison, I have no actual aerodynamics data for the Copen, but I like the spoiler anyway so I'm going with it ;-)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  15. Jam

Jam Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    copen
    I have a spoiler, yes. There was a downhill section on the highway where I was going like 125-130 and I felt the back end sway a little bit for a moment before the car regained its composure. I guess it's a good thing I don't care that much for top speed.

Although I have to say I'm really impressed with how eager the car is at accelerations in city roads. It's such a joy to drive! I can't wait to get inside every time. A friend of mine joined me yesterday and he said it felt like being in the Batmobile:p

16. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    I mounted some braces and one huge rear one for high speeds..:D

Attached Files:

17. jez77

jez77 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2003 Daihatsu Copen
    2000 Toyota RAV4
    I agrèe with Vin you'd be surprised how much effect even a small lip spoiler can have.
    From what I can gather it was the 1.3 copens that came with the spoiler not many of the 660s.
    That makes me think it was to help with highway speed stability that wasn't really an issue in Japan.
    Even in OZ here because we only got the slower 660 and our 110 speed limit we didn't get spoilers either.

18. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
    Spoilers are on the 1.3 only, if you see a 660 with a spoiler, it was not there when it left the factory :D
    I have done ~120 mph (~195 kmh - GPS) several times and the stability of the car is still OK at that speed.
    But taking even light corners makes you sweat :D

19. welz

welz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen 2003
    @phil:eek:I have done ~120 mph (~195 kmh - GPS) several times and the stability of the car is still OK at that speed.

did you forgot change into 5th gear?

:D

but right, problemly riding that car over 200 kmh. Need two hands und you can not check it out.

be careful with the speed

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  20. Tasman

Tasman Copenworld Member

I seem to remember that the spoiler was available as an option on 660s when we bought ours?

AFR0N1 likes this.