1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

servicing the copen = PITA

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by neill70, Jun 19, 2011.

1. neill70

neill70 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    impreza wrx
    arosa sport
    yamaha ybr 125 custom
    As title just started servicing my copen, air filter no probs although i was shocked to find the standard airbox intake is pathetic just sitting in the engine bay hoping for some air to find its way in, thinking about drilling some holes in the airbox to get some cool air in, then did the plugs - what a pain but managed it, then looked for the oil filter - WTF? i cant imagine it being in a worse place, no way i can get to it so i am going to try this from amazon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Laser-4232-Filter-Wrench-Flutes/dp/B0012M9K2E/ref=pd_rhf_shvl_1

thought i had an oil leak but after finding the filter can understand why everything underneath is covered, on a seperate note do i need semi synthetic or is fully ok?

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Yes, changing the oil filter is a bit of a pain.

There are some pointers about how to do it. I'll try to find the links for you.

3. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Here's a great site.
    The translation isn't that good, but the photo's are very helpful.

http://translate.google.com/transla...rev=/search?q=copen+parts&start=10&hl=en&sa=N

Look under the section "oil replacement".

The key point to remember is, once the oil filter is off you need to turn it through 90deg. to get it through the engine mounting.

He had to remove his bumper as it was an aftermarket style with no front grill.

I notice that he talks about a 68mm oil filter wrench. Someone in the past has said this isn't the correct size. I see the one you've linked to is 65mm.
    I think different makes of oil filter maybe different sizes.

4. neill70

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    impreza wrx
    arosa sport
    yamaha ybr 125 custom
    i measued the filter i got from daihatsu and it seems to be 65mm but i willsee if i can make it a bit bigger if needs be, i thought it might be easier to take the grille and intercooler off when i was under the car but i will give it a go with the wrench i have ordered, no doubt lots of swearing will ensue, will let you knowhow i get on.

5. neill70

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    impreza wrx
    arosa sport
    yamaha ybr 125 custom
    just to let everyone know the 65mm is too small, i have now ordered a 67mm version so hopefully that will fit.

6. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Now that is interesting.

It seems the genuine filter may needs a 68mm 14 flute wrench. However other brand filters can be different diameters.

Check the discussion here.

http://copen.4.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=409&st=15

Yesturday I ordered a genuine Daihatsu filter. So let me know how you get on with the 67mm wrench.

7. neill70

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    impreza wrx
    arosa sport
    yamaha ybr 125 custom
    it came today, its advertised as 65/67 but its exactly the same as the last one i got off amazon, oh well i will try again.

8. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Doh! Nevermind
    :)

9. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
  10. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Realized this morning that you only need to change the oil filter every 6000 miles. So I only need to do the oil this time. Which was very easy. Probably could've done it without putting it on axle stands.

11. neill70

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    impreza wrx
    arosa sport
    yamaha ybr 125 custom
    i got that one, had to (alter) it slightly but now it fits my filter.

12. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    What did you do to it?

13. neill70

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    impreza wrx
    arosa sport
    yamaha ybr 125 custom
    it got stuck on my new filter when i tried it for size so i got a small flat blade scredriver and forced it in on all the flutes and bent it a bit, worked a treat, managed to do the oil and filter today and i refer to my title of this thread, MAJOR pain in the arse, cant really get my hand throught the engine mount but got it off then putting the filter back on is a case of luck as you cant see the screw thread! i think this was a major design flaw by daihatsu but i suppose its not to bad if your japanese and have very small hands.

Glad i managed to do it myself as i bet daihatsu charge a fortune for it.

14. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    I'm dreading attempting mine now.

15. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

Ive had my copen since 2004, and never done anything on it as far as servicing it myself. I take it to the dealers regularly. There was another copen there for many months, getting many repairs to the engine, as i was told the owners made many alterations to inprove performance etc. I have a colleague who works as a Diahatsu engineer who said that all the major mechanical problems happen to aftermarket modifications. I havent done a thing to mine, and as i use it as my business transport, it sees a lot of driving. Im approaching 185,000 kms and no major mechanical repair at all - i know its only a matter of time, as nothing lasts forever, but my last diahatsu did over 250,000 km before its first problem (clutch replaced) My concern is more the availability of parts for the copen. My colleague said best insurance is regular oil changes, which is due agin in 4 weeks for its 61st oil change!!

16. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Happy 61st! :D

17. neill70

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    impreza wrx
    arosa sport
    yamaha ybr 125 custom
    just take your time when you do it adam, make sure you have plenty of time to do it just incase you get stuck, i did it now as i dont fancy crawling under the car to much in winter, at least then its just a case of draining and refilling the oil.