1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trade in or sell privately 1.3 2007 silver copen

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by lovebug_car, Sep 8, 2020.

1. lovebug_car

lovebug_car Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    I have a dilemma. What is the current value of a good condition 1.3 copen. I think it has 89k on the clock & last year had the sills & arches treated & resprayed for rust but its starting to come back through again.
    I've seen a trade in price of 1250. Bought in 2016 for 4995 so wondering what a private price might be. IMG_20190921_180150_824.jpg IMG_20190921_180150_811.jpg

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  2. Brian S

Brian S Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Dec 2003 659cc silver Copen. Boost controller, cold air, 2" exhaust, underglow etc.,
    My bike is a 2016 Suzuki Maxi with Malossi Variator, straight through exhaust etc.
    Hi lbc. First, the general rule is: never trade-in. When you consider he has to pay GST/VAT on any sale, he can't give you a decent price. Also, it's probably not something he will put on the lot, meaning he's probably going to auction it so he'll get even less. Ignore trade-in & only look at changeover price, that's what the car guy will be doing.

But I see another issue. That would be the rust is coming back after just a year. Assuming it was done properly, not just bogged up, I'd be straight over there complaining for a fix & if necessary, threaten to open a complaint with your version of the Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) to fix it. Here we have laws based on what a 'reasonable person' would expect. I think you would have a similar govt body with the power to make orders. Rust coming back after just a year would definitely not pass that threshold. If you make a complaint he'll have to prove his case, so if it's all kosher I'd say you're good.

Even if it is just 89k km, but needs a bit of work, then the fact it's an exotic will definitely hit your resale hard. It might be worth paying a few hundred GBP to make it look clean. If it's 89k miles, that's 143k kms, I'd definitely stress the fact that it's basically a bullet-proof Toyota Yaris/Echo engine, which will make people less worried than our little turbo babies do. Parts & servicing are easy & cheap too. Plus, up there it's just the end of summer so it will be an easier sell now.
    Just check your main carsales website to see what people are asking, auto or manual as maybe.

Here in Australia the price of a good, documented Copen is slowly going up now. I paid AUD$9k in 2018, spent another $800 replacing the rotten exhaust with a 2" straight through system. $500 went on govt transfer & 'inspection' charges. So I was in for $10.3k. I've spent another $1.2k on stuff I want, making it $11.5k I could sell it for $12k or so. No depreciation & being paid for your work is a nice situation. Luckily we have much less tin worm. We also don't have 1.3s.

3. lovebug_car

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Thanks for your reply Brian.
    Trade in just feels like the simpler option but perhaps it is worth my investigating the option to get the paintwork checked by the sprayer who did the job. The car is in good condition apart from that really & has a full service history & looked after.
    I'll try calling the bodywork person & see what he says about the rust coming back already. I think anyone who likes the copen knows the engine is reliable. It's a great little car & I'd love to keep it as a second car but it would be too expensive.
    Sounds like you've done well with yours. I feel like prices have dropped over here in the last few years.

Brian S likes this.
  4. Bruce3927

Bruce3927 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    08 reg 1.3 Copen
    Even if you try a 'we buy any car' company (several main dealers do a similar thing) you will get a better price than a trade in. Selling to someone on here or the Facebook copen pages will possibly be a better option, also means the car is more likely to be looked after a bit better if that bothers you.

Brian S and lovebug_car like this.
  5. lovebug_car

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Thanks Bruce, I've spent the day cleaning & polishing & put my copen up on fb for 1800. That seems really reasonable to me. I would hope for 2k but it will need the rust doing again so I think 1800 is fair. Also the central locking needs a new battery etc. Im giving the new owner a new car battery too so its a real bargain!
    https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/337620933959464/

Bruce3927 likes this.
  6. Brian S

Brian S Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Dec 2003 659cc silver Copen. Boost controller, cold air, 2" exhaust, underglow etc.,
    My bike is a 2016 Suzuki Maxi with Malossi Variator, straight through exhaust etc.
    Yep, Copens are fantastic cars but have all the practicality of a unicycle. I've installed bigger cargo nets to replace the decorative ones behind the main seat, as well as two small ones in the footwells & done some other stuff, not really applicable to you. But you can suggest it to a non-Copener (my new word!). Cost on eBay etc for new nets would be less than GBP20, so a cheap way to carry a bit more.

A couple of other points come to mind:

- Bruce has solid advice. Post your sale here for sure, especially if you want her to go to a loving home. As you're selling her so cheap I hope you do, as the difference in price you might get is probably trivial. Full & open disclosure of known faults to someone who actually wants a Copen would be something I'd appreciate as a Copen enthusiast, you look as honest as you clearly are. Plus you have some records. The price (I'm assuming you'll bite at GBP1,650 or so) allows them to fix everything & have a nice Copen for a very reasonable price.

- You can't polish rust, I've tried. :sweating: So don't just ask the bodyshop, be assertive that the rust coming back so soon means that you aren't happy with the quality of their work. Aim to at least get them to make her look presentable. If they tell you to go f**k yourself, I'd threaten making an official complaint, you'd be surprised how motivating that can be.

- Most people who are into Copens would probably prefer the 659 turbo, as that's the real deal, the 1.3 was a Euro only thing AFAIK. So don't assume a prospective buyer knows the Yaris engine thing, make it a positive in your ad. Then you might find someone who had never thought of a Copen before & it will seem/be a less risky decision. At GBP1,800 it's not much risk anyway.

- If you've installed a new battery but the windows still don't work, it might be time for you or your buyer to visit your friendly local auto-electrician. It might be just a blown fuse or bad connection, my reasoning being that it's very unlikely that both electric motors died at the same time. I'd check the handbook to see which fuse runs the windows. If that fuse is blown, a new one will (hopefully) fix it & add a lot to your resale for pennies. That's a really simple DIY.

All the best with your sale, I just hope you got some smiles during your custodianship - you don't "own" a Copen!
    Lovely early Spring day here in Canberra, I'm going for a ride before it gets cold! Cheers, Brian