1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hazard lights coming on by themselves?

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Adam K, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    On my way to work this morning & noticed my hazard warnings were going off.
    Checked the switch...it was off. Pressed it a few times. It then when slightly mad flashing really fast then back to normal (i could hear the relay clicking). Turned the ignition on & off didn't solve it. Bashed the dash & pressed the button again & it stopped.
    Continued on my journey, arrived a the car park. Started turning off the lights, heated seats, rear screen heater, turning the blower off & the hazards started to go off again.
    Again I pressed buttons, bashed the dash, turned the ignition on & off. Wouldn't stop. So I had to pull the 10A fuse under the bonnet for the Hazards.
    Now I don't have any indicators!
    So just put the fuse back into the car. No hazards flashing, great.
    I'll just try the hazard switch. Went on & off the first time. Then started by itself again, then went fast & slow. So I pulled the fuse again.
    Looking at the wiring diagram the indicators & hazards use the same flasher relay. Thought the indicators were working fine though.
    I'm thinking either some damp has got into the switch or the switch is knackered. Or there is something wrong with the flasher relay, which I have no idea where it is.
    My plan is to remove & disconnect the Hazard switch, then put the fuse back in to see what happens. Otherwise it's got to go to a garage.
    Any electrical boffins got any idea's?

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Just taken the hazard switch out, it had moisture in it. Must have got in there when I was wiping the condensation off the inside of the window.
    So fuse back in, indicators working. Switch in the airing cupboard to dry off. Otherwise I'll have to buy another one.

3. MattMacc123

MattMacc123 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Thats really strange! i know the hazards are meant to come on by themselves if you have a bump as well =\

4. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    The position of the switch & the way the button sits in the dash, doesn't protect it from water ingress. I must have had a drop or two of water drop just in the wrong place.

5. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    I'm amazed. Didn't think a drop of water could be that conductive, especially to only 14V.

Maybe it shows the hazard button is just an input to he ECU, so very little current is required to conducted to operate the lights.

Still, I hope it okay now.

Rex.

6. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Yep, all good now. Two days drying out in the airing cupboard. Put it back in this morning. Working properly again. :rolleyes:

7. Herby Greef

Herby Greef Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 0.66
    I’ve got a dimilar problem. Where is the flasher unit and what’s it look like