1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adjusting headlights for moving abroad

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Buggles, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Buggles

Buggles Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen, 55 reg, otherwise known as 'Noddy Car'
    Evening everyone.

I'm just wondering if you chaps would be able to help me with a problem.

We move to Germany in March and are taking the Copen as we can't bear to get rid of it.

The problem is, we need to adjust the headlights to driving abroad. Apparently there are some cars that have a lever behind the headlights to 'flatbeam' the lights, but the Copen doesn't have this.

Has anyone done similar or is aware of a fix?

Kindest Regards and thanks in advance,

Chris

2. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
  3. Buggles

Buggles Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen, 55 reg, otherwise known as 'Noddy Car'
    Sorry bud,

I should have made it clearer. We're moving over there permanently, those little headlight stickers are not allowed as a permanent fix apparently.

Cheers for the quick reply though,

Chris

4. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    You might be able to get a set of lights from a European Copen being broken.

Join the German Copen club & put up a wanted advert.

@ Scooty, do you know of any headlights for sale in Germany?

5. scooty

scooty Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2 x Daihatsu Copen, RHD
    1 x Daihatsu Trevis
    Hi Chris,

as you are moving over permanently it looks like you will need to register your car in Germany (=change to german number plates). You will have a 6 months time-limit for registering.

I brought a Copen over from the UK as well, to get it registered in Germany you will need (assuming it is still registered and road-taxed in the UK):
    - the CoC of your Copen (Certificate of Conformity), available from Daihatsu UK (or through a former Daihatsu garage?)
    - german insurance cover
    - german bank account (for direct debiting german road tax)
    - your UK number plates will be withheld (I managed to keep at least the rear number pate as souvenir)
    - valid german TUV-certificate (=MOT). Despite having a valid UK-MOT you will need a german TUV test and certificate.
    But you can pass german TUV only when you changed your headlights to right-hand-side traffic. Not only that, but I also had to swap the reverse and fog-light units (fog lights are only allowed mounted in the center or left-hand-side of the car).

Good news: You do not have to swap the steering wheel to the other side. :rolleyes:

Well, all sounds complicated and lots of effort but no worries, help is at hand, just get in contact with me about any questions you have.
    I do not know how good your german is, but you can read my story of importing a Copen from the UK to Germany over here (click me).

For sourcing the head-lights, fog-light and reversing-light units please open a thread over at http://forum.micro-roadster.de. Unfortunately currently I am not aware of any scrap-Copens.
    In case you consider buying these components new, please ask your local Daihatsu garage for a price first (they can also supply these components for right-hand-side traffic). I did at the time as well and the UK price was lower than in Germany. I can ask for the current price in Germany if you like.

Andreas