1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil pressure light on 660 turbo

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by tictac, Mar 4, 2014.

1. tictac

tictac Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 2004
    Prius 2006
    Hi all, the oil pressure light on my dash starts to flicker at idle speed when the car has fully warmed up. If I lightly touch the throttle and up the revs to 1000 rpm the light stays off. Have changed the oil (went slightly heavier grade 20W/50, it is quite warm here in AUS summer you know and not as wet as the UK either) and this seemed to reduce the flickering somewhat but not eliminate it. Now I'm thinking, either dodgy oil pressure switch (which previous owner thought it was, as the engine has been reconditioned and maybe a 'different' oil pressure switch was installed at the time) or weak oil pump. Any experience out there with replacing oil pressure switches and/or oil pump checks/replacement?

2. tictac

tictac Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 2004
    Prius 2006
    OK fellow copenworlders, time to update you on progress with this issue. I know you have been waiting eagerly to find out if I solved the mystery of the flickering oil pressure light.

I purchased a new oil pressure switch assy (or pressure sensor) part no 83530-97202 and then a new 24mm open-ended spanner to install it. I already have a good selection of spanners but who would have guessed it would be an unusual size, heh? Anyways ... I found that an open-ended spanner worked best to get access between the aircon drive belt and the engine block, there was not enough clearance to get a socket drive into the area.

After some time under hood and being patient with 1/12 turns at a time, I got the old sensor out and the new sensor fitted. Fired up the mighty beast and went for a drive to get it warm and then watched the oil pressure light while idling at traffic lights. Excellent, no more flickering oil pressure light at idle. Problem solved. Happy camper.

3. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    Thanks for the update.

Rex.

4. speedy-g

speedy-g Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen Turbo
    Vectra SRI 2.6 V6
    Looking for Jaguar XJR V8
    Flicker

That's great news, it sounded a very expensive fix. But the cheapest option is always worth starting with.