1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi Everyone

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Timtim, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Timtim

Timtim Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Toyota Landcruiser 4.2VX
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm Tim from Chessington in Surrey UK. Soon to be moving to Hampshire where I will be looking out to buy my first Copen to use as a fun drive and for commuting. My daughter also wants to learn to drive and I think this would be far better for her to learn, instead of my Land Cruiser.
    You all seam to love your cars, but could you give me your honest oppinion on what version of the Copen is more practical to drive on a regular basis? 660 Turbo or the 1.3?

Happy motoring.
    Tim.

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Hi Tim, Welcome to Copenworld.
    I would say it depends on your budget & mileage.
    The 659 is the older model so is usually cheaper. Road tax is more than the 1.3 version though. Service intervals for the 659 are every 3000 miles, so if you'll be commuting regularly in it your better off with the 1.3.

3. Binz

Binz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen (plus Kawasaki W650 and Honda CRV)
    Hi Tim, basically +1 to what Adam said.

I have a 1.3 and use it for daily commute (30 miles each way) on the M3. Doing that many miles I think the 660 would need servicing too frequently so to me the 1.3 makes more sense. I beleive the 1.3 has a bit more oomph too which is good for m'ways but not having driven a 660 I can't say how much difference is noticeable. Re economy, I typically get about 45 mpg.

4. Timtim

Timtim Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Toyota Landcruiser 4.2VX
    Thanks for the info Guys,
    From my research it was looking like the 1.3 was the best bet. Thanks for confirming that. The hard thing is finding a 1.3 as they appear to be very few and far between.
    Have a great Easter.
    Tim.

5. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Be prepared to travel for a good one.

6. copencat

copencat Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    hopefully soon a new grey copen!
    yep agree as above.

I happen to work in chessington - small world eh!

in terms of learning to drive - i wouldnt suggest a copen, visibility is poor and other people can really make you nervous as they just dont see the car and will pull out on you. It is also low and poky car - wheel spinning is easy.

but it is serious fun! (so long as there are no massive pot holes!)

7. speedy-g

speedy-g Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen Turbo
    Vectra SRI 2.6 V6
    Looking for Jaguar XJR V8
    Welcome

You may find the big 4x4 would be cheaper for your daughter to insure, it may sound daft but it works that way sometimes. Also she might feel safer in it.

8. RHD

RHD Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Saab 9-3
    I agree with Copencat, other motorists do pull out in front of me, maybe thinking coz its a small car its going to be slow!
    I tend to have my side lights on whilst driving in the daytime, defo makes a difference.
    Also the driving standards of some car drivers is pretty shocking, so unless your a confident driver I'd consider maybe getting a slightly bigger car.all the same good luck if you do buy one, They're head turning and good fun to drive.

9. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    bought my copen as a learner - I find being small and low makes me feel more in tune with the road if that makes sense. used a fiat 500l at work a few weeks back and felt out of touch with the experience

10. Binz

Binz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen (plus Kawasaki W650 and Honda CRV)
  11. Nathan126

Nathan126 Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen 660
    Hi, i know this is an old post now.. i've only ever had small cars, my biggest was either the Mk3 Panda or my old suzuki jimny. My copen is a 2004/5 turbo, but at 23 y/o with 7 years plus experience with many cars it doesn't phase me. Although not quite first car suitable. The 1.3 with no turbo lag would be an easier learner, i found the easiest car to drive was my suzuki Jimny (or panda). My panda had the electric glass roof that went back and my jimny was a soft top.. so best of both worlds, practical and in sun.. fun :) although the jimny was just as bad if not worse for blind spots. Good luck in whatever you choose. Copen is more fun though ;)

12. Timtim

Timtim Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Toyota Landcruiser 4.2VX
    Thanks for all the information Everyone.
    That has given me something to think about, especially on the learners side of things. Yes, a large 4x4 like my Land Cruiser is fairly cheap to insure despite being a 4.2 Turbo. One cylinder is biger than the average Copen engine. Big can have as many problems as small. There has been many occassions when I have had to really squeeze over to allow oncomming traffic through without contact.
    Visability and wheel spin could be a problem for a learner. Though wheel spin is what it's all about when you are 17 and showing off to your mates.

Once again thanks for the input.
    Tim.

13. TooCopen

TooCopen Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen 0.7
    Hello Timtim,
    The Copen is really a wonderfull car :)
    But I agree that it is not the best for beginners. The 660 (that I do like) can suffer with a learner who will make some (normal) errors as a too low engine speed (the small engine has not enough torque and will stall).
    So if I can have a suggestion : buy a Copen for you, enjoy it until your daughter is an experimented driver.
    But think well before : the time she will drive it, you will rarely going to drive the Copen :-((
    Let us say what is your decison ;)

14. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3