1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing oil - easy?

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by dsb, Apr 13, 2014.

1. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    so far I've had a garage change my oil, but now my work has relocated I'll need to change it every 3 months so thought i'd do it myself.
    I have ramps. is it as simple as going up on the ramps, undoing the nut underneath, collecting the oil and then putting fresh in the top?
    obviously I have to change the filter too from below every second time.
    anyone else doing this?

2. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    yes its simple. I do mine but difference is my schedule is roughly every year and oil filter is easy access, yours will be a tad more tricky but obviously not impossible.

Don't tighten the sump bolt like your life depends on it. better for it to drip oil than shear the threads!

3. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    I changed the oil yesturday on mine. Don't even need a ramp. I use a Celebrations sweet tub. Fits under just right. Take off the oil cap on top of the engine, lift the dipstick out a bit. Then undo the sump bolt.
    I do it with a hot engine so the oil is warm.

Here's a You Tube video a member made for the oil filter.Daihatsu
    Copen oil filter Change: http://youtu.be/unkc_iYtZ_I

4. seany87

seany87 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    MX5
    Copen
    Changing the oil on the Copen is probably the easiest car I have ever done. The issue with using a set of ramps is that the car won't be level when you drain and therefore some old oil will remain in the engine.

My method for the Turbo copen, get the oil nice and warm after a 10-15 min drive. Park up on level ground.

I then just fit a small tub under the sump plug like Adam said. Slowly undo the plug being careful not to potentially scald yourself as the oil rushes out, and making sure you don't lose the plug in the oil.

As it drains, I undo the oil filler cap, this helps expel old oil that remains in oilways due to pressure differences. When the oil practically stops coming out, refit the sump plug preferably with a new washer, making sure its not gorilla strength tight.

Next I just jack up the drivers side front of the car, and put an axle stand securely under a sturdy part of the car such as the front subframe, to support it. Never get under a car that is only supported by a jack. Lie on your back, reach through the engine mount (helps if you have small hands) and twist off the old oil filter. Hopefully the garages you have been to haven't put it on to tight otherwise be prepared to swear. Bear in mind that next to the oil filter is the exhaust manifold and downpipe so be careful again not to scald yourself. Wipe the rubber seal around the oil filter with a bit of clean oil then refit the new filter through the same engine mount. Screw it on by hand, not too loose, but not too tight. You want it tight enough so that it takes a tiny little bit of effort from your grip to twist off.

Remove axle stand, then lower the car. Refill the car with about 2 litres worth of oil, then keep checking regularly on the dipstick as you slowly add more until it reaches capacity, should be 2.7 litres if you change the filter, 2.5 if not.

Start the car once you are satisfied, keep an eye out in case the oil pressure light is on and an ear out for any knocking/rough noises. If all is well the engine will start as normal. Check for leaks from the sump and filter. Dispose of the old oil and filter being environmentally concious. Then you are good to drive for another 3000 miles!!

5. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    you almost make it sound easy :)

6. seany87

seany87 Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    MX5
    Copen
    It might seem a bit daunting at first but seriously its not once you know how. The principle is the same for practically every car.

Take your time, do it step by step and most of all enjoy yourself! Remember that if you get stuck the internet is the worlds biggest library and any problem you face will have been answered before. I promise that you will soon wonder why you ever bothered paying a garage a fair bit of money to do your servicing for you! I've probably saved thousands and thousands over the years and i'm only 27!