1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fuel tank corrosion.

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by DaG, May 26, 2015.

1. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    After a recent rear ended accident I noticed a slight smell of petrol in the car. It was stronger when sticking my head under the car so I assumed the tank had been ruptured.
    The body shop who were going to repair my car phoned me and said the tank was leaking because of heavy corrosion to it and was leaking from the front, not from the back of the tank which would have taken the impact. I pointed out that there was no smell before the accident and the body shop said they would contact my insurers to see what they could do.
    As it happened the car was a write off so the issue of who paid for the tank was irrelevant.
    The reason for this thread is a warning. My Copen was a 2008 which is one the last Copen's so if it can have sufficient corrosion to cause a leak it might be an idea for those with older copens to check their tanks for rust or leaks. The rust issues with these cars really is a spoiler and having them waxed or other rustproofing I now think is essential.
    Sorry for such a depressing thread.:)

Last edited: May 26, 2015