1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

susperspats copens mods

Discussion in 'Modifications' started by superspat, Jul 9, 2014.

1. superspat

superspat Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    thought i would start a build thread so every 1 can keep a eye out on the process of the little copen, hers some pics of her when i picked her up
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i brought her very cheap with a broken roof, so got to work fixing the roof, worked my way through the workshop manual and ran the fault code flash test and came up with window and roof ecu fault, so got a set of new ecus and swapped them over and shes all working now, al be it a bit rusty
    [​IMG]

this was the faulty ecu
    [​IMG]

i have got a number of bits ready to go on her that include

sard dump valve
    sard boost gauge
    blitz dsbc spec r boost controller
    fuel pressure gauge
    JAM racing fcd
    600k HIDs and new bulbs all round
    innovate wide band kits to monitor air to fuel ratios
    custom made ( in my garage by me) hybrid turbo
    onve ive sold my avanzato she will be going white along with some new wheels, rear spoiler and front and rear bumper skirts, then much more power with a ecu, hybrid turbo and fueling mods

2. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    What is a hybrid turbo?

3. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    Hybrid turbo is normaly a larger compressor wheels fitted to a machined out inlet housing, but my hybrid is parts of 3 different turbos all mounted together, means can force much more air through the engine to create much power while still keeping the exhaust and downpipe flanges the same

4. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    fitted my sard dump vale today, took under a min, such a simple car to fit them on as everything is so easy to get to, mines not the nice eco friendly bov as dont see any point in them as they make induction kits that bit harder to make up.
    first remove all the stock re circ bov stuff all together in 1
    [​IMG]

then get a bit of 1cm internal diameter fuel pipe from the rocker cover breather to the inlet pipe, it will slid in to the pipe coming out of the inlet hose
    [​IMG]

you dont have to worry about the pipe coming out of the solenoid as its just a lets out excess boost pressure from the boost solenoid and can be vented to atmosphere
    [​IMG]

there is a small vacuum pipe that needs blocking of with a bit of vacuum hose and proper capping end but i just used a screw as didnt have a end cap, you can see it to the left of the dump vale
    [​IMG]

and all fitted, any 1 can do this with very limited skill, just a flat head screw driver and a pair of pliers

all fitted and sounding like a turbo car should do
    [​IMG]

5. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Fancy doing up a YouTube video of the sound?

6. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    not got a youtube account, its not mega loud as its only running standard boost but once its running more boost with larger intercooler and pipe work it will sound epic

7. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    i decided to make my own induction kit as there is no way im paying hundreds for a hks or d sport kit when i can make it for the price a full tank. in all it cost me nothing to make as had the bits sat in my garage but it would cost any one else around £20 to make a induction kit.

1st you need to get a Toyota starlet gt turbo/glanza standard intercooler hose, the one that goes from the intercooler to the throttle bodie and a 2" bit of 42mm wide silicone hose
    [​IMG]

a £6.99 air filter of ebay
    [​IMG]

remove the front bumper then remove the standard air box and remove the rubber gr omit from the top of it and make a hole in the starlet pipe for it to fit in nicely
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ( the hole needs to made on the left hand side not were the hole is in the picture)

fit the filter on to the starlet hose and slide the 42mm hose in to the starlet hose and the standard intake hose that is still fitted on the car
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

took around half a 45 mins from start to finish

also fitted my blitz DSBC spec r boost controller which looks like its ment to be there
    [​IMG]

have also got a full daihatsu lip kit delivered today (need spraying tho) and waiting for aftermarket rear spoiler to arrive on friday
    [​IMG]

brought some new wheels today aswell, they are 15" 6.5j with a 35 offset, so going to have get some serious stretch on the tires to keep them with in the arches
    [​IMG]

8. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    silly question - what does the boost controller do?

9. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    a boost controller can come in 2 different type, a manual type or electronic

the copen has a standard boost solenoid that controls the boost pressure tot he actuator and keeps the boost levels a preset level but means of bleeding of boost to keep the actuator closed to build up boost and the flow the boost pressure from turbo to actuator to open up the waste gate to stop it over boosting

the boost controller i have fitted is way more advanced that the factory 1. I can raise the boost levels and changed how quick the turbo spools up (come on boost) and reaches the preset boost level i want. I can a just the boost levels from inside the car to set it up under load, can have up to 4 preset boost levels on the controller that can change in a second and it doubles up a boost gauge so i can monitor the boost levels.

a very good bit of kit if you have a modified turbo car

10. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Great progress in a short time. :cool:

11. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    cheers adam, i did say i was just going to sell it on once i fixed the roof but sold the mira and couldnt help myself

12. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    They're addictive little buggers! :D

13. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    so i swapped a tire over and test fitted the wheels, as to be expected they stuck out a 1" past the arches being a 6.5j wide and 38 offset but stretched the standard tire on the wheel and the tread is well with in the arch so they are ok for road use:) not to every1s taste but i love my stretched tires
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

they are going of to be powder coatded in the next week and can they go back on the car with the tires

im going to try and fit a number of sets of lowering springs from different daihatsu miras and cuores to see if any give a good 3/4cm drop in height

have also just picked up the copen after having a s/s exhaust made, its 2" from the down pipe back with 1 silencer and no back boxs or tips yet, just 2 shotgun pipes poking out the bumper, its not very loud at all but has really helped the car breath better past 5/6k and carrys on pulling till redline now with no noticeable drop in power

will get some pics of exhaust later on

Tassie Devil likes this.
  14. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    Do you have a lot of spring sets lying around then to be able to just try them? Or is there a shop for trying them on like a changing rooms in M&S

Let use know if any sets did a 1 or 2 cm drop.

wiaiting for the exhaust pics

15. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    Yes I've got 3/4 different sets of daihatsu springs and lowering springs from my old avanzatos I've had, will get pics tomorrow, is not a shiny being exhaust, purely for performance reasons and like the rough sorn off shot gun look

16. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    I assume the springs are the same fitting then, as in diameter. Or will they require some modding?

17. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    yes the suspension set looks near enough the same, just depends on spring height and preload of the different set of springs, going to try them tomorrow or maybe be Sunday

18. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    is preload the amount it compresses with the weight of the car?

19. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    have been experimenting with different springs on the copen and the set of lowering springs that came of my daihatsu mira avanzato l200s. the springs are totally different lengths and sixe but the fronts fit in the shocks all ok no issues and the rears need a bit of persuading but fitted now,
    lowered the front by 40mm and the rear by 30ish mm
    [​IMG]
    standard spring is on the right hand side

[​IMG]
    standard spring fitted in the shock

as you can see the standard springs are a lot short but have no travel on then, ride comfort is near enough the same and the rear springs are almost a direct fit, just needed to remove all the rubber bump stops and rubber seats as they mira springs are about 2mm narrower that standard shocks and needed a little bash to get them sat in the shock bed

front all lowered, didnt get any pics of the rear tho
    [​IMG]

20. superspat

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    picked up the wheels fresh from being powder coated, looking fresh and clean, also got some new tires all round as it only felt right
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

the wheels have a inch of stretch but due to the rim protector they dont look over the top and keep the police at bay as they stick out 1/2cm

will get better pictures int he day soon
    [​IMG]

wheels all fitted up
    [​IMG]