1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Copen Set to Return?

Discussion in 'Front Page News' started by copenworld, Oct 23, 2013.

1. copenworld

copenworld Copenworld Founder Staff Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    [​IMG]
    Autocar is reporting that the Copen is set to make a comeback.

The Copen was built for a 10 year period from 2002, with the final car rolling off the production line in August 2012.

Rumour has it that our favourite little car may go back into production at some as yet unspecified future date.

2. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    We can but hope.
    Maybe we should start a petition!

Rex.

3. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    I doubt it would return here though. Especially with Diahatsu pulling out. How many years would it take for them to return? By then the Copen would be out of date with technology. In the later years of sale here only a couple hundred were sold. I doubt that would increase much by a re-release and probably not worth it for them to do it for a few hundred sales.

May be it would be ok for them in Japan or far east.

4. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    maybe it will be sold as a Toyota.
    imagine... a new, properly rustproof copen with 90mpg and 12000 mile service interval... I can but dream.

5. princess

princess Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    just got our second copen 04 reg. we also have a brand new vw bettle!!!!
    It would be great if they did build a new Copen, i could have one of both:D

6. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Bringing a new face lifted Copen out would be a good idea. Bringing back the existing Copen seems pointless. Unless there has been a huge demand for it in Japan and Daihatsu have had a change of heart.
    With daihatsu no longer selling in Europe we wouldn't get either possibility so anybody wanting one would have to go down the import route.
    Bringing it back as a Toyota I doubt it would be the little Kei car we know. It would lose its niche appeal and just be another mx5 /mr2 none entity.

7. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    All positive outlook from DaG there. Right, moving on to our next topic "helping the clinically depressed"

I say bring back the Ford Model T. OK, so they need to figure out how to install a 6 CD changer to bring it up to date, but I think they would be on to a winner there. And spare parts must be cheap by now!

8. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    "The car in front is a Toyota" but "The car in front of the car in front is a Daihatsu"

9. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Hey, I'm just being honest. :D

10. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
  11. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    I was looking at the on Facebook earlier. Is it a mock up of body panels over a copen chassis? The centre console is the same and the door alcoves look very similar.

its for a different stable than the Copen which has some retro look. The new one has the modern day aggressive, angular and fussy design. Not that I dislike it, it does look less gay and more sporty. but its not as stand out for being individual.

But as it will have the pea shooter turbo engine I'd be highly unlikely to get one unless they do the same for Europe and drop a 1.3 beast in it.

12. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    :D You do have a way with words!

I think it is a Copen with new panels & dash. The area behind the headrests does like familiar also.

13. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    They can't spell Copen with a K it would lose its meaning. Copen means "open coupe" so how can it begin with K?:think:

14. dsb

dsb Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen vivid
    the gear stick looks remarkably stubby - although it is an auto.
    hopefully a manual will appear too.

15. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    it will be a more German-esque name like kompressor

so Kopen will be open-turbo

16. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
  17. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    A very nice looking car. I like this pic of the car and it's colour even though I don't normally like blue cars.
    Strange it has English writing on the number plate "future included".

Edit: The image wouldn't work, it's the first picture on Adams link.

http://response.jp/article/img/2013/11/20/211139/625711.html

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  18. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    discs on the rear?
    the boot lid is flat. more boot room? and high level brake like is on the rear? so no leaks :)

Little space in the wheel arch. Is that how it will be or have they lowered it for the show to make it look better than a tractor looking production model

Where are the door handles? I don't think this is a working example. I cant see seals on top of the door.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  19. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Latest news is that the Kopen has removable body panels like the Smart Fourtwo.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/20/daihatsu-kopen-copen-rmz-xmz-tokyo-2013/

Look through these pictures as they swap the panels.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/daihatsu-kopen-concept-tokyo-2013/#photo-1578189/

As Daihatsu aren't in Europe we might never see this if it is released. However for those of us who like Kei cars, there might be more of a chance seeing the S660 from Honda on these shores.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/11/20/honda-s660-concept-tokyo-2013/

20. trustafox

Car(s):
    Yes
    looking at the photos in the link Adam posted, will the panel swapping be as easy as these make out? :rolleyes: If the panels are easy enough for little Japanese girls to remove without tools or rolling on the floor showing up their little skirts :D I think this it will not be like that for production. Parts would be flying off on the motoroway :eek: Also where are the electrical wires for the lights on the rear bumper?

has it got floating discs?

The Honda has an LED speedo/tach in the centre console.

I prefer outside of the Honda but the Kopen maybe better inside even though its just a re-vamped Copen! :( The centre console is the same! but does have a cover on the lid to the storage between the seats. I bet it still has that stupid release catch position. Thats one of the worse things on the car and they keep it the same! :-((. Seats look good.