1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roof/ Boot mechanism

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by oldoak, Nov 26, 2014.

1. oldoak

oldoak Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    copen 650
    Hi Everyone, Closing the roof, in the last four or five inches approaching the top of the windscreen the roof seemed to close with much more of a thud than its normal slide into place, as though something in the mechanism may have slipped or released early. It was in its correct position however so I locked the clips.

At the same time the boot which had by then started to close as normal stopped closing, the closing motor was working fine, just nothing happening.

I drove a couple of miles slowly in that condition towards home, boot part open at 45 degrees, roof fully closed and clipped and then tried the button again having just released the roof clips beforehand so as not to cause any undue stresses.

The boot closed fully and all appeared normal after that.

However now after a further 50 miles of normal trouble free motoring I have now just got the closure the warning light and bleeps started up . I haven't yet re-opened the roof/boot for fear of it not closing.

I have read all the posts on the subject prior to taking any action ,

but specifically

one thing I noticed when the boot was open is that the mechanisms in the boot were particularly well spray oiled and lubricated, done by the mechanic at the last service about 2000 miles ago, and the first time this has happened was the first time opened since then.

Could it be possible that oil has ingressed into any particular part of the mechanism not normally meant to be lubricated which would mean the last few inches of roof travel to the windscreen, and then the boot closing mechanism was slipping.

Is there any particular area on the sliders or cables where there lubrication should be removed in particular please if this could be the issue?

Thanks

2004 659cc copen