1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surprise Fix

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by Kevin Batchelor, Apr 21, 2013.

1. Kevin Batchelor

Kevin Batchelor Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi Guys

I bought some Auto Glym vinyl and rubber protector for the rubber seals on the roof joints.

It has stopped squeaks and......

I sprayed a tiny amount on the seat belt guide on the seat and also on the area where the seat belt goes back into the retraction area - and now it DOES NOT stick anymore - it glides back effortlessly!

Just thought it might be useful for others to know to get those pesky seat belts sliding quickly!

Kevin

2. Jezza

Jezza Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    copen and Hijet
    Nice one , will try that too !!

3. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Does it dry and also continue to work after a few uses of the belts?

4. Kevin Batchelor

Car(s):
    Copen
    It has lasted 3 days since I did it! So looking good so far! I sprayed the seat belt guide as well as the mechanism inside the housing of the seat belt. I pulled it back and forth a few times when i sprayed and the difference was immediate.

Also - it is amazing that the squeaks in the roof have disappeared since I applied the stuff with a cloth. Amazing difference.

I also used the stuff on the dash and doors - They gleam!

Cheers guys

Kevin

5. Kevin Batchelor

Car(s):
    Copen
    By the way - the stuff is Auto Glym vinyl and rubber care (not protector)

6. Kevin Batchelor

Car(s):
    Copen
    One week later - no squeaks form the hood and the SEAT BELTS slide back by themselves!!!! Success!

By the way I applied 2 coats of Auto Glym vinyl and rubber care - and twice sprayed into the seat belt return mechanism!

Kevin

7. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Did you take the interior out & actual spray it on the seatbelt mechanism?
    Or just at the top where it comes out?

8. Kevin Batchelor

Car(s):
    Copen
    Hi Adam

Just at the top where it comes out - I sprayed into the opening

Kevin

9. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Right gotcha.

10. alz2605

alz2605 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    VW Golf TDi
    Thought I'd revive this thread after stumbling onto it the other day.

So I thought I'd try out Auto Glym vinyl and rubber care on the the roof seals to see if it made any difference to rattles & noises in the Cabin. To my absolute astonishment rubbing this stuff onto the roof seals has pretty much eliminated all the rattling noises in the cabin :eek:

I couldn't believe how quiet the ride was this afternoon. I'm so amazed as to me it didn't sound like the noise was coming from the roof at all. I assumed the rattling was down to the panels behind the chairs! I'd even thought of getting small rubber washers to fix onto the plastic pin things that held the panels in place.

I tried it on the seat belts too but I didn't get a drastic difference like the original poster.

It remains to be seen how long the effects will last on the roof rattles but even if I have to apply it every couple of weeks it'll be worth it! I still can't get over what a drastic difference this stuff has made!

11. Old Badger

Old Badger Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 Copen
    2016 Honda HR-V
    Bought this stuff as recommended and cleaned everything I could see! Looks amazing! Haven't yet tried it out on the road to see if roof rattles are improved because it hasn't stopped raining long enough here for days!! Interestingly, Mrs Old Badger has discovered the qualities of this product and is applying it all over the house! Fantastic for TVs, set top boxes, etc.

12. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    I've bought some too, but haven't tried it as yet.

13. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    I got some today, and sprayed it down the opening for the belt.

It made a non-trivial difference - so much so that I put the guides back on, after soaking them in the magic spray! It's still a bit meh, but it's far better than what it was.

I think what I'll do next is spray the belt itself and see if that will help, as I think it will.

When the weather gets good, I'll try it on the roof.

14. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    After a while, the guides (not the opening) reduces the pulling ability of the belt - time to remove the guides again!

On the plus side, NO MORE RATTLING ROOF. I mean, I was really really impressed with how quiet the entire roof is now and how much... safer... I feel driving the car. I know that sounds a bit weird, but I really do feel like the car isn't going to fall apart at any minute!

15. Rex

Rex Copenworld Pioneer

Car(s):
    Copen
    I've got to agree, that auto-glym stuff does get rid of a lot of the rattles, also adds shine to the plastics.

Good stuff.

16. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    After about 2 weeks, it needs to be redone again. Not to the same extent as before (although I did use a lot of it initially on the roof).

Has anyone noticed any paint issues? I've been worried about that, so used a lot of rags to protect the paint.

17. alz2605

alz2605 Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    VW Golf TDi
    Did my 2nd coating today after noticing the rattles returning at the end of last week. Well over a month between applications so more than happy.

Not noticed any problems on the paint.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  18. trustafox

trustafox Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Yes
    I guess the spray only puts a thin coating on the rubber, and being a spray much of it goes everywhere besides where you want it. Hence the cloths covering the paintwork etc but I'd doubt it would damage the paintwork as that wouldn't be good advertising for AG. So I'm not surprised the squeaks started to come back and it does appear to be for a quick spray and shine on plastic too, not a specific rubber rejuvenater but give it that nice shiny black look .

I used silicon grease on mine last year. A fair bit of it (only talking like 5 to 10 mL) and took me a fair while also as I did every rubber seal. I could load a small part of a cloth with it and just use tip of my finger to apply so didn't have the bother of a spray going everywhere. The purpose was for it to soak in the rubber and rejuvenate it, allowing it to keep supple and not to dry and split. After I had done the rubbers did look black again but had a greasy/slimy layer to it. This implies it had more applied than a spray but after some time that look did go as it probably soaked into the rubber. If the little bit of AG spray does the same and migrates into the rubber core, no wonder its surface is the same as before application and the squeaks return. All that I put on hopefully penetrates into the rubber filling the voids but leaving some at the surface for longer squeak free running.

After doing my rubbers last year I'm still in no rush to re-do them again. :) either that or I'm oblivious to the squeaks coming from them :eek:. I'll have to purposely listen out for them on my next drive and report back.

I also used it on the plastic fascias/trims as had the cloth in hand, well end of finger, and did a fine job. Again takes much longer than a spray and I would say a spray is a better idea here for hard internal plastics that you just want a better cosmetic finish. The rubbers are a physical issue and I feel requires a different product. Additionally, it did have a bit of a sticky finish on the internal plastics and being less porous than rubber would probably take longer to soak in (if at all) so I had buffed these up afterwards with a clean/dry part of the cloth (or a different cloth, can't recall now) to remove most excess. But again was very happy with the finish.

I hope to be using the same rubber long into the future. :D

NOTE: my finger did ache by the end of it! :(

19. JulesAtCumbria

JulesAtCumbria Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2009 (59) Copen
    Wow, Trustafox, thanx for the comprehensive guide - can well imagine that your fingers are worn to the bone! :-(( This video from Autoglym seems to suggest that they apply the stuff by cloth rather than spraying it on directly, at least inside the car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APFb12oAajI

Next trip to Halfords I'm defo gonna get some of this stuff - like everyone else the seat belts are well sticky :mad: (passengers are always stumped!) and I'm fascinated to see if I can replicate the difference in roof rattles that everyone else seems to have found. :think:

20. JulesAtCumbria

JulesAtCumbria Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2009 (59) Copen