1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Officially a new owner (and several jobs to do)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by BarnsleyRob, Feb 13, 2017.

1. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Well a very helpful local garage has saved me a couple of hundred quid. They put the Copen on the ramp and had a quick look over it. The disks and pads are fine, as are the rear brakes. They reckon the underbody looks good and they will do the fluid changes for £30-35 but I'll have to source the Castrol if I specifically want that brand, which I do as it's recommended.

They didn't have the engine running or look at any codes but when I got home I found that the cooling fan isn't the source of the noise under the bonnet but I'm stumped what it might be. It's exactly the same sort of constant drone as an electric motor and I can hear it inside as well. i guess the only possible culprits are the alternator or water pump but there's no evidence of a leak and it sounds like the "smooth" noise of something running well rather than a grumbling noise of something not quite right.

An ideas?

2. Salieri

Salieri Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    Used to have a White Copen, but I sold it in 2023
  3. Vin Petrol

Vin Petrol Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    2004 0.7 Copen
    It sounds like it's not a fault then, maybe get the bonnet open and stick your ear to various things might work to see what it is, though humming noises can be hard to locate.
    If you have a smart phone, an ODBII bluetooth diagnostic dongle is £5-10 off ebay and paired with a free app can check various engine settings that are mostly gibberish to me, plus see and clear any fault codes - I believe a garage charges £60 just to check a fault code!

4. Salieri

Car(s):
    Maybe its the power steering pump or one of the pulleys has gone bad, just guessing :D

5. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    I've just taken it out for a quick run. The noise isn't very evident at start up but once up to temperature it's audible. I've attached a couple of captures from the iPhone so it isn't hifi by any means. The first clip (1206) is just the noise in the background and the second (1207) is the fan kicking in for comparison. It could be the PAS pump so I turned the wheel a couple of times. Unfortunately it wasn't conclusive as the revs increased slightly and that would have affected the alternator and water pump equally.

Looks like I can't upload MOV or MP4 files unfortunately.

6. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    I may as well change the PAS fluid. Helpfully, the manual states Dexron-III but doesn't give a quantity.

7. ronalddoes

ronalddoes Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    2004 Copen 659 cc, 2009 Sirion 2 1000cc, 2010 Subaru Justy 1000cc
    It's well under a litre.

8. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    I guess it's possible that everything else is quiet and the PAS just happens to be the noisiest thing in the engine bay. On the other hand, the iPhone recording mainly picked up the tappets which sounded loud to the phone but prefectly normal to me. First world problems eh ?

* Update. A bit of googleing points to PAS or throttle body. I'm leaning towards throttle body as PAS seems more prevalent at cold, the steering weight is fine and consistent, and the noise seem to be coming more from the battery side. Also, there have been a couple of times when the idle has faltered Hopefully, if it's throttle body it will respond to cleaning.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  9. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    Well another helpful local garage thinks it's coming from the air box. He undid the clips and slid the front part forwards and the noise was definitely louder. He then clipped it back together and shrugged.

10. Salieri

Car(s):
    Remove the airbox and piping completely, you will have to do that anyway to clean the throttle body (use throttle body cleaner spray, its good).
    Then you can start it without the airbox, if the noise is gone you will know :D

11. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    Just out of interest, is the throttle body available from Toyota as it's a Yaris engine ?

12. Salieri

Car(s):
    I do not know if its a direct fit. But the Yaris had the same engine, its a Toyota 2SZ-FE/Daihatsu K3-VE

Why would you want a new one? I can't really think of anything that could go wrong on a mechanical throttle body :D

13. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    I was just musing the general availability of spares.

14. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    I notice that the service manual states that the gaskets shouldn't be reused when you change the transmission oil. I doubt the garage will bother getting new ones though so I'll keep an eye out for leaks afterwards.

15. Salieri

Car(s):
    Its just 2 regular aluminum gaskets. They should have these in stock.
    You can reuse them, but its always risky

16. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    @Salieri
    I'd prefer they used new ones. Do you happen to know the size and I'll get a couple to take up with the oil ?
    Stupid thing is that I've just bought a trolley jack so could easily have done this job myself :banghead:

17. Salieri

Car(s):
    I can tell you the parts number, its 9004430178

Its an aluminum gasket about 22mm in diameter, but I do not know any exact measurements

18. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    Thanks again.
    Not quite as simple as I hoped as I can't seem to order them, or the Toyota equivalent, in the U.K. or at least not online anyway. I'll try a Toyota dealer on Monday as it's going in on Tuesday. The place it's booked in to is a small fast fit franchise (but with good feedback and they knew their stuff at the last visit) so they may not have an extensive spares stock.

A Toyota part will no doubt be expensive but at least I'll only have to buy one lot of oil.

19. Salieri

Car(s):
    The gasket (you need 2) is around 1 quid per piece, so it should not be too expensive :D

20. BarnsleyRob

Car(s):
    I guess I'm used to BMW prices :(