1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New owner

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Hibarn, May 28, 2015.

1. Hibarn

Hibarn Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Honda Jazz
    Kia Sedona
    Hi all you Copen addicts!

My Copen is arriving next week and I cannot wait - Bright Yellow 2008 model with 28,000km in brand new condition - a rare find.

As it has been standing for a while (I am having it serviced before delivery), can someone please advise me on what I should check and what I should be on the look out for.

I have still to drive it and is a bit sceptical on what I should expect from the ride. Is it as choppy as some publications say?
    What is it like on the highway - Can it cruise in relative comfort at say 120km/h with the top on.

Any views or opinions will be hugely appreciated.

2. superspat

superspat Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    ford cmax
    daihatsu copen
    biggest thing is rust and more rust, round the rear arches, behind the bumper, front wings is the main places.

most of the boots leak aswell, this is mainly from the rear 3rd brake light on the boot, but its a easy job of removing it and using a silicone or plumbers mate to reseal it.

I cant remember what they are like on standard suspension but its not going to drive like a bmw, you will get a lot more steering feel and feel of the condition of the road, saying that they are amazingly fun to drive even in standard form

3. Hibarn

Hibarn Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Honda Jazz
    Kia Sedona
    Thank you for the reply. I will check for rust very carefully!

4. Tegan SA

Tegan SA Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2006 Copen 1,3
    2013 BMW 118i auto
    Hello Hibarn, my Copen lives in Cape Town. I've checked for rust at 39000kms when bought over a year ago and it seemed fine. In the UK the biggest culprit for rust is the salting of the roads during snow season. In any case, I still would like to do some rustproofing in the future. Great ride for you, especially in the countryside. Do enjoy.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  5. Hibarn

Hibarn Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Honda Jazz
    Kia Sedona
    Hi Tegan

Thanks for the reply. Makes sence.

Got my Copen last week Monday. Went to work on Tuesday, burst a tyre and rolled several times - Came out of it with only a stiff neck - Tough little car but now a total wreck. I am shattered. Turned out that the car stood for quite some time which might have caused the deteriation of the tyre....Please all future Copen owners. If you buy a low milage Copen - Check the tyres!

Luckily I got hold of another one with only 26,000km on. Hopefully getting it next week.

Regards

6. hiramscodd

hiramscodd Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    53 plate black copen
    transit
    Wowzers:eek::eek::eek:

glad your ok

7. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    Jesus! Glad to hear you're ok.

8. Tegan SA

Tegan SA Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    2006 Copen 1,3
    2013 BMW 118i auto
    So sorry this happened to you. Surely the dealership you got it from would've checked for defects before selling. That stiff neck could still turnout bad. Get it checked again...and you're brave to get another Copen! We should try to buy the wreck for future parts if the price is right.

9. Hibarn

Hibarn Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Honda Jazz
    Kia Sedona
    Hi Tegan Figthing the battles...Busy negotiating with the insurer to buy back the wreck. Will keep you posted.