1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Millage

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by angus_the_brave, Feb 23, 2012.

1. angus_the_brave

angus_the_brave Copenworld Newbie

OK, so I have 60k km on the clock. How long before I need to consider doing some major work?

2. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Depends on how well the engine has been looked after.
    If the oil changes have been done at the correct scheduel. You should be okay for a long while.

3. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

its so hard to say - ive seen come copen owners say they have had some big stuff repaired in low kilometers - im about to have my 203,000km service. still no major biggy as yet. Im a big believer of servicing a lot more than necessary - every 3,000 km i change the oil and a full service every 5,000km
    So 60,000km is nothing for a diahatsu. My neighbour 2 doors down has a daihatsu sirion - 1998 model i think - its done 245,000 kms and just had a few of the regular problems like clutch, a few electrical problems etc.
    but the biggest thing for smooth engine is to use high octane fuel. never used anything else.

4. angus_the_brave

angus_the_brave Copenworld Newbie

Cool! that is what I like to here. I have found that the Toyota (no daihatsu specific dealers in Tasmania) are very unreliable and expensive. So I am looking to do the servicing myself. Do you know if there is any major draw backs with this approach apart from getting dirty?:cool:

5. Adam K

Adam K Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Nissan Cube Kaizen
    Access to the oil filter is a bit of a mare.
    You should be able to download the service manual from the directory section of the forum. Have a look through & find the lubrication section. It shows how to take the oil filter out.
    Be aware that some none Daihatsu brand oil filters are too tall & won't fit through the engine mount gap, as the manual describes.
    In which case you need to take the bumper off, then the air filter, followed by the hose into the intercooler.
    So it worth buying the proper Daihatsu oil filter.

6. Scareysue

Scareysue Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Copen Vivid
    Daihatsus, if looked after, can keep going forever. I've had three. I only got rid of my Fourtrak because the bodywork was literally rotting, but it had been round the clock twice. Being a diesel turbo it needed regular oil changes, but that was it really. Oh - I did change a belt of some sort (would it be the timing belt? - this is a lot of years ago) when it turned the 100,000 mark

7. dwayner

dwayner Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    A 2005 copen and a
    Camry Sportivo
    dwayner

Never considered doing any of the servicing myself - Frankston toyota in victoria, does a really good job - never had an issue with them - although i bought the car when there was a daihatsu dealer, the servicing was done thru Ford, and they said it was the easiest cat they had ever worked on.
    I dont know about Tasmania - but do you see many Copens down there?
    the most i ever saw in one place was Cairns in Queensland in 2005, where a hire company was using them for backpackers to run around in Cairns - i saw them every day i was up there on holidays. If you know what your doing i guess there isnt anything wrong with doing your own servicing etc. But if you stuff up there isnt any comeback, whereas Toyota, at least the one i use, take responsibility.