1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!

Discussion in 'Problems, Fixes, Tips...' started by skbilics, Nov 7, 2017.

1. skbilics

skbilics Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    So I've got a 08 1.3 copen she's called Betty.

I've had noticed recently when I start Betty that initially when I start the car and put my foot on the accelerator there is hardly any power then she goes and she's fine ... like the power drops! But tonight she made a strange noise I moved forward slightly then she completely cut out I tried again and it did the same thing and on the 3rd attempt she was fine?! Rather worrying anyone got any clues?

Thanks Sam

2. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    I’d start with checking the plugs and coil packs are all good and tight. Perhaps also try the connections to the battery terminals although I’d expect those to play up when you’re trying to start the engine.

3. jcuyckens

jcuyckens Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Volvo XC60 2015
    Toyota Corolla 2004
    Rover 45 V6 2005
    Daihatso Copen 2006
    BMW R850RT & R850R
    Yamaha GTS1000 1993
    It is possible that your fuel pump does not reach the required pressure or there is some air in the lines.

4. skbilics

skbilics Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Im not sure exactly what you mean.. I have also noticed the car makes a lot of noise going over 60mph it groans like it doesn't like it... is this normal? I am still in warrenty with the dealer so I will contact him and see what he says.

Ive spoken to the dealer and he said he noticed the same thing but nothing came up on the diagnostic so he thinks the car just needs warming up a bit because its a small engine!?

@Barnsley Rob is there anything that wouldn't come up on the diagnostic?

Thank you

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  5. BarnsleyRob

BarnsleyRob Copenworld Veteran

Car(s):
    2009/59 silver Copen 1298 cc (now gone to a new home)
    Sam,

I’m not an expert by any means and modern fuel injected engines are usually beyond my limited experience but it certainly isn’t down to the small engine as it’s 1300cc pulling a pretty lightweight car. I don’t run past 3,000 rpm until the temp gauge shows the engine is up to temperature but that’s only a couple of miles.

The spark plugs are a cheap fix for the dealer or yourself to change but first check that all the ignition leads are tight and in good order (no chaffing or broken insulation). There’s no inline fuel filter but you could treat it to a tank of super unleaded to see if that helps the injectors.

Above 60mph, you might get a bit of gearbox drone but it certainly shouldn’t sound like the car doesn’t like it. Mines quite happy at 70mph and still pulls keenly for at least another 10mph (if it was on a private road).

Did the car have a full service history ? Even if it did, unless you’ve got invoices, it may be worth changing gearbox oil, brake fluid, and coolant as these have fixed lifespans and aren’t usually included in a routine service unless it’s always been looked after by a main dealer.

If all else fails, put it in writing to the dealer you bought it from and tell them to get it sorted or you’ll reject the car.