1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello from a chilly Scotland.

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by HBH, Jan 31, 2015.

1. HBH

HBH Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    Is it the cold weather? Weird sounds - a (fan belt type) squeak on ignition contact AND driving the final 50 yards home last night - a low grrrr on each revolution of the wheels - Any ideas? many thanks HBH

2. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    The fan belt squealing on start up is fairly common on a lot of cars. The belt is slipping and the damp weather makes it worse by acting as a lubricant and the belt slips easier.
    Tighten the belt or better still remove it, clean the pulleys and maybe change the belt.
    The low grrr is a bit harder to work out. Might be a brake related problem, a wheel bearing or just something catching. Jack the car up and spin the wheels see if you can feel any vibration or rough spats as they turn. Good luck.

3. Number6

Number6 Inactive User

Car(s):
    2005 0.7L Copen
    The wheel noise could be the backing part of the brake caliper / shield rubbing against the wheel.

The squealing at startup is probably water / moisture. If it goes away, this is the likely cause... If it doesn't go away, you may need to adjust the belt tensioner.
    As DaG said, check the belts. I've found it rather difficult to get new belts, so I've ordered genuine daihatsu ones - I'll try and get equivalent aftermarket belt part numbers based on the genuines in my local motor factors, when they arrive.

4. dunf

dunf Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    copen
    Welcome neebur.

Probably ice forming on your brakes! Sure is baltic the now.