1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dodgy radio

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by elizabeth_powell, Jul 20, 2013.

1. elizabeth_powell

elizabeth_powell Copenworld Newbie

Car(s):
    one proud copen owner
    Morning copen fans

My radio starts when the car does but goes off after travelling about a mile. It then comes on goes off etc. Has anyone any ideas of what the problem could be.

Cheers
    Liz
    :think:

2. RHD

RHD Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Saab 9-3
    radio

Is it the original radio? If so could need pulling out and checking wires are all attached.
    Try checking the correct amp fuse is in.

Hope this helps.

3. elizabeth_powell

Car(s):
    one proud copen owner
    Hi
    Yes it is the original radio. I hoped to avoid removing it but I think I might have to.

4. RHD

RHD Copenworld Member

Car(s):
    Daihatsu Copen
    Saab 9-3
    Radio

Be careful removing it as the wires might be quite tight and there may not be much play.

Good luck, let me know how you get on.

I've posted new thread - Cool Colour or What was you thinking!?

5. elizabeth_powell

Car(s):
    one proud copen owner
    Hi
    managed to get the radio out the only thing I can see is a white plastic clip with two green and two purple wires. There is a pic in step 6 in the features guide do you know if that just hangs about or is it meant to connect to something.

Thanks
    liz

6. DaG

DaG Copenworld Guru

Car(s):
    Copen 1.3
    The only thing you can do is make sure any plugs in the back are well pushed in. When you say it goes off do you mean just the sound or does the display go blank?
    If the display goes blank then you are temporarily losing power which could be any one of lose connections or the radio has an internal problem. Sometimes connections benefit from being pulled out and then pushed back, so try that.
    Can you get hold of another radio and fit that for a short time to see if the problem goes away?
    You could try not pushing the radio completely back into its slot in the dash and then drive as normal. When the radio goes off stop, pull the radio out and jiggle the leads to find out which is the problem. Other than that its a an auto electrician.

7. elizabeth_powell

Car(s):
    one proud copen owner
    Hi Dag
    Yes it goes blank. I think I am off to town to buy a new one. Poor car looks sad with the radio hanging out.

Thanks for the help

Liz

8. Binz

Binz Copenworld Regular

Car(s):
    Copen (plus Kawasaki W650 and Honda CRV)
    fault / loose connection in power supply could be in radio or in wiring to it or earth.

If that white clip is what I think it is, then its the output from the unit to the rear speakers, hence not connected.

9. elizabeth_powell

Car(s):
    one proud copen owner
    Have bought a new radio, husband fitted it (useful guy) and it works a treat thanks everybody for your help.
    Happy copen owner
    Liz:)